Wednesday 5 October 2016

Another Day Older

It's weird when one gets older. I was asked by a number of people today what I had planned, and all seemed somewhat disappointed when I told them I had no plans. While none of these people have ever lived vicariously through me as far as I know, today is like any other day outside of the fact that I need to change the number when I answer any question about my age.

I don't make it a secret that it's my birthday, but I don't advertise it either. Perhaps that's why these colleagues of mine were disappointed by my answer. I really just wanted to get home and relax after a somewhat busy day at work. I made myself a nice dinner, I relaxed with Meg the cat, and we got lost in a couple of movies. In other words, it was a Wednesday.

I do know that some other important people are celebrating birthdays today. Mario Lemieux, my favorite hockey player, shares a birthday with me. Patrick Roy and Fredrik Olausson, also of hockey fame, also share a birthday with me. Former NBA star Grant Hill enjoys cake and presents today . Hollywood stars Guy Pearce, Kate Winslet and Jesse Eisenberg share a birthday with me. AC/DC's Brian Johnson was born on this day. Renowned scientist Neil deGrasse Tyson was born today. Both the late Ray Krocc, who founded Mcdonald's and owned the San Diego Padres, and the late comedian Bernie Mac would have celebrated birthdays today as well.

There have also been some somewhat unhappy moments on this day. In 2011, Apple guru Steve Jobs passed away. In 2003, former Atlanta Thrasher Dan Snyder succumbed to his injuries from the car crash in which he was involved. While I'm not one to dwell on tragedies - and there were more on this day - those two I remember quite vividly.

Among the important events that happened today, the New Jersey Devils tied the Pittsburgh Penguins 3-3 in their first NHL game in 1982. In 1970, PBS became a US television network, eventually filling many days of Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers for kids across North America. Barry Bonds breaks the MLB mark for home runs in a season when he launched his 71st dinger in 2001 to eclipse the mark set by Mark McGwire. Author Stephanie Meyer's Twilight is first published on this day in 2005. Dr. No, starring Sean Connery and Ursula Andress, premieres in London in 1962 and is the first Bond film based on Ian Fleming's novels. On the same day in 1962, the Beatles release "Love Me Do" as their first record. 1947 saw the first presidential address made from the White House by Harry Truman.

In some rather weird news, people in North America born on October 5 have the most common birthday out of all the calendar days. More than one million people on this continent celebrate the day with birthday cake, so happy birthday to you if you're one of them!

That's all for today. No hockey. No rants. Just a night off for me!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: