Monday 7 September 2015

No-Labour Day

Pictured: not my backyard. However, I have a new patio area installed and ready to use that has a fire pit, so you'll find me out there today and tonight. I start holidays this week, and there are a pile of smaller jobs that I want to get done in and around HBIC Headquarters, so updates to the old blog might come intermittently. If I'm late on a day or two, it's because I'm busy. If you want to contribute to HBIC, this week is a good time to do it since I'm going to be out and about this week. Either way, I'm going to enjoy this week off.

If you listen to The Hockey Show, you know that we have been calling the team from Astana, Kazakhstan "Little Winnipeg" for some time. They have a roster that features Winnipeg-born players and former Winnipeg Jets. Some of the former players who have suited up there included Cam Barker and Nikolai Antropov. It seems this tradition is continuing this season.

The usual suspects are back as Dustin Boyd and Nigel Dawes have returned to the team. They've added former Jet Keaton Ellerby to the mix this season, and appear to be one of the stronger teams in the KHL with the likes of Roman Starchenko, Martin St. Pierre, Mike Lundin, and Brandon Bochenski on the roster. There's a good chance that Barys makes the playoffs again this season, and there is hope that they can make a run to the Gagarin Cup Final.

Because it's a no-labour day for me, here's video of the first hat trick in the KHL this season by Dustin Boyd. His three goals helped Barys down Salavat Yulaev 5-3 for their first win of the season on August 27, 2015.
Nothing better than seeing a good Winnipeg kid lighting up the KHL! Go Barys Astana!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: