Friday 8 June 2012

Updates To A Few Things

I admit that I let my anger over the blown call in the AHL Calder Cup Finals yesterday get the better of me in my article. After all, we're all human, and we all make mistakes. Heck, I've made many of them on here that you, readers, have called me out on, and I have to thank you for that. You guys make me see things differently when I'm only seeing red, and that's a pretty awesome part of this endeavour. So I want to spend some time today throwing out a few updates, making an apology to a few people, and thanking a few others. First, I do want to post the release that the AHL put out, though, and then we'll get to my thoughts.

American Hockey League President and CEO David Andrews has issued the following statement today:

"We have spoken with Toronto Marlies management and confirmed that a rules interpretation error by the on-ice officials occurred on the Norfolk Admirals' overtime goal during Game 3 of the Calder Cup Finals.

"On the play, a dump-in from center ice by a Norfolk player caromed off a stanchion and into the Toronto net. The correct application of AHL Rule 83.4 would have negated the Norfolk goal due to a delayed offside call.

"As AHL By-Laws do not allow for any change to the final result of a game based on an incorrect rule interpretation, the result of the game stands."
First off, this is a classy move by Mr. Andrews to admit that there was an error made. If credibility and accountability are two important factors for a commissioner and his office, Mr. Andrews certainly kept those two factors intact by issuing the statement. While it's not said in the statement, I'm sure the AHL offered their sincere "sorry" to the Marlies for the error, and that's pretty commendable when the league could have done nothing except to stand behind their men in stripes. Instead, they admitted there was a mistake, and all can move on despite the 3-0 hole the Marlies find themselves in.

Well done, Mr. Andrews, in upholding the integrity of your office and admitting there was an error on the play in question. It takes more courage to admit to the world that your employees made a mistake than to keep quiet, and, as an AHL and hockey fan, I want to thank you for this.

As for an apology, HBIC would like to apologize to the four on-ice officials in last night's AHL Calder Cup Final game. We all make mistakes, and I'm a prime example of that. I apologize for the rant I went on last night, and here's hoping you all get a shot a cracking into the NHL full-time in the future!

Moving on, I want to thank the handful of people who signed up for the Playoff Pulse prize pack from Microsoft, CBC, and HBIC. If the Kings can close out the series tomorrow, we'll have a winner by Monday. If they cannot, we'll wait and see what transpires as the Kings and Devils continue to battle for the Stanley Cup. If you want to win, get your entries in for the awesome prizes!

Still with prizing, Peter S. is going to get some awesome stuff for his May HBIC article. I said earlier in the year that HBIC will be giving away a lot of stuff this year, and Peter will see some winnings for his effort in May. Peter will receive a DVD copy of Goon, starring Seann William Scott and Liev Schreiber, and a killer Vancouver Canucks hoodie featuring a very distinctive Johnny Canuck logo on it. Honestly, I had forgotten about this hoodie being in the HBIC Shwag Bag, so Peter will get a prize pack worth close to $100. Well done, Peter!

If you want an opportunity to win a prize or two, get your articles in to this email address! All articles will be accepted if they are about a hockey topic, and there's no shortage of hockey stories to follow at this time of year!

Moving on again, it may have taken 14 years, but Canada is on top of the world today as the Canadian men won the 2012 World In-Line Hockey Championships with a 9-5 victory over Germany! It's only the second time that Canada has won the event with the first being in 1998. Canada was outshot badly in the game by a 40-27 margin, but Canada was certainly more accurate when they had the puck in the offensive zone. While Canada finished atop the standings, Germany took silver, and Finland defeated Slovenia to capture the bronze medal. Congratulations to Canada on winning the gold medal!

Lastly, I know everyone wonders what my summer project is going to be this year, but upon the conclusion of this year's Stanley Cup Final, I'll be turning my attention to the sport of field hockey with the 2012 London Olympic Games starting in July! I'll try to bring lots of field hockey stories to you leading up to the Olympic Games, and then HBIC will cover the event - from afar, of course - as the teams battle for the gold medal.

If you're not all that interested in field hockey, that's fine. I understand that there are a lot of people who think that HBIC is simply an ice hockey blog. But HBIC is always looking for some great stories, and the Olympics always deliver great stories. Field hockey is a sport I'm not all that familiar with having been raised in Canada, so I want to be a little more learned about sport when the Olympics open. I hope you'll give it a chance as well, and if I make an error or describe something wrong, I want you, readers, to be there to correct me.

Game Five of the Stanley Cup Final goes tomorrow, and Game Four of the Calder Cup Final goes tomorrow. Two major trophies could be handed out on the same day, so grab a beverage and a seat, and enjoy some great hockey action!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: