Tuesday 22 May 2012

You Make The Legal Call

Normally, titles like the one above will accompany a questionable hit or call that happens during a game. Today, I am proud to say that we will explore something entirely different that I think is an absolutely incredible idea. Frantic Films, a Winnipeg company, is producing an "innovative legal web series" that allows you, the reader/viewer, to deliver a verdict on a possible crime committed in the video. Essentially, it's a court case on video, and YOU are the jury!

While I didn't think this had anything to do with my blog whatsoever, the email I received from Tammy about the web series proved me wrong. I'll post her email first, and then we'll take a look at why I'm helping Tammy get the word out about this exceptional idea. Tammy wrote,
I wanted to tell you about an innovative legal web series I've created that tackles the issue of fighting in hockey in this week's episode. This week on Verdict, we put a hockey enforcer on trial - he's charged with manslaughter after participating in an on-ice hockey fight in which the other goon dies. It's up to our jury of viewers to vote and decide whether he's guilty or not guilty.

I thought you might want to check it out and share with your readers so everyone can join in the deliberation and discussion about this hot button issue!

Verdict is a legal web series in which we present a court case to our "jury" of viewers each week, and then they deliberate and ultimately vote on the accused is guilty or not guilty.

The series is really a fascinating social experiment, delving into the psyche of people on a wide range of topical issues. We've already challenged our viewers to vote on episodes about father's rights and abortion, invasion of privacy in a social media age and on and on! This hockey fighting episode is sure to be a huge talker.

The demographics that we reveal at the end of each voting period really tell an interesting tale about how people feel about each issue as well (women/men, different age groups etc).

Anyway would love if you checked it and shared!
I highly recommend that you take a look at the video of the hockey goon on trial from the Verdict series. I'm not going to lie when I say that I was very impressed with how this series engages the viewer into becoming a vital part of the story. In short, I am very much behind this idea.

Nick Butler is the man who is being charged with manslaughter after he blindsides Jeremy Hill with a punch to the back of the head. The result of the punch was that Jeremy Hill ended up dead, and now you, readers, need to weigh in on whether this act of aggression is actually manslaughter, just part of the game, or if Mr. Hill's death is the result of some other factor.

You can actually look at this case in the same way that the legal system is currently looking at the Todd Bertuzzi-Steve Moore incident. While Moore survived the attack, Bertuzzi's attack caused his career to end and put his health in significant jeopardy. It was a cheap shot that Bertuzzi threw, and it was a cheap shot that Butler threw that seemingly caused Hill's death.

Watch the video, and make a comment if you like. The voting is over on whether Nick Butler would be going to jail or not, but I'm not going to sway you one way or another in telling you how I would have voted. You should definitely weigh in as a hockey fan in the comments here on HBIC or over on the Verdict site. Have your say, and get your voice heard in this case. There is no right or wrong answer, but it might be good to discuss the various points that you see in this case.

If you want to participate in more trials like these, Verdict has a number of past series available to watch as well as current trials and upcoming previews of trials. This unique web series is one of the most interactive ideas I've seen in a while, and I am happy to give Verdict an outlet here on HBIC.

Keep up the fantastic work, Tammy! You have a fan in me!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: