Saturday 4 February 2012

I Have No Idea

The image to the left? That's a pit. I'm pretty sure that it has nothing to do with hockey, but I've exhausted my resources in searching for any information about "pit hockey". In yesterday's book review, I had quoted information about Kostya Kennedy, a Sports Illustrated senior editor, who "graduated with honors as a philosophy major from Stony Brook University where he played exactly one game in the school’s rogue bloodsport, pit hockey." And that's where my search began.

What, exactly, is "pit hockey"?

It's clearly either some sort of game that I've never heard of or it is called something else in my neck of the woods on this planet. Why is it a "rogue bloodsport"? And why did Mr. Kennedy only play one game? Is the sport really that vicious and/or violent that Mr. Kennedy only saw the need to play one game before abandoning it?

I found a couple of sites that reference the game of pit hockey, but none of the sites are even close to being helpful in explaining what the game is or how it is played. Stony Brook University's site makes no mention of the sport, so I can safely assume that it is not on the list of approved intramural sports. And I'm back to square-one of not knowing anything about this game.

Has anyone ever heard of "pit hockey"? Please leave any and all details in the comments. I'd like to know more about this game and why it was called a "rogue bloodsport" by Mr. Kennedy. If you have any information to pass on, please do!

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: