Sunday 2 August 2009

Trivia Answers With Added Sunburn

I'm hot. I'm tired. I'm a little sore. But I'm also a little fatter in the wallet. We ended up second-place overall in the softball tournament, losing to a team of youngsters who simply outplayed us in the final. Kudos to them for handing us our first and only loss of the weekend in the game for all the marbles. For our efforts, we won t-shirts and some cash... and we have some bragging rights to go along with those spoils. The team we defeated yesterday, the favorites to win the tournament, had, in fact, won the tournament three years straight. We were pretty proud of that fact. However, today's spoils were pretty big as well.

The semi-finals featured our merry band of men and women against a team we knew all too well. With the game 2-1 in the bottom of the fifth inning and us having two outs, Joe got us started by slapping a single to left. Jill, my wife for the weekend, did me proud by singling up the middle to put men on first and second with those two outs. Now, I'm not normally a deep-ball hitter in these kinds of situations as a base hit will score one and advance the runners. And the other team, aware of my hitting prowess, was whispering under their breath for their pitcher to walk me. I don't know what came over me, but the walk-off homerun that I hit was probably the most exciting play I made all weekend. With the 4-2 victory, we assured ourselves of at least some cash and prizes as we advanced to the final. Yay for me in terms of the glory, but I want to hand it to Joe and Jill. Without them getting on with two clutch hits, you wouldn't even be reading this. All the credit goes to them for giving me the opportunity to send one over the fence. Which I did. WOOHOO!

Ok, to the trivia answers because I need to go aloe my neck and face. It seriously feels like my neck is on fire. Damned sunburns. And then I'm grabbing some shut-eye. These long days of physical activity take their toll on one's body! Or I'm simply not as young as I used to be. Let's go with that. Ok? Ok.

  1. Glenn Hall's streak of 502 consecutive starts in net was broken by a strained back suffered while he was putting his equipment on.
  2. Marc Garneau was the first man to shoot a puck in space on the Challenger mission in 1984.
  3. Toronto's Ken Doraty scored a hat trick in overtime against the Ottawa Senators on January 16, 1934.
  4. Brian Leetch's goal against the Penguins was assisted by Wayne Gretzky. That point was the last point recorded by The Great One in an NHL game.
  5. Bill Mosienko victimized Lorne Anderson of the New York Rangers with his three goals in 21 seconds.
  6. Teemu Selanne's record-setting goal saw defenceman Adam Foote stumble in the neutral zone before Selanne flipped the puck over a sprawling Stéphane Fiset into the Quebec net.
  7. Théodore, Garon, Vokoun, and Harding all catch with their right hands.
  8. The WHA, in an effort to make the game more TV-friendly, introduced pucks of various colours. They used red, green, blue, and orange pucks to help TV viewers see and track the puck better, but they eventually went back to the standard black pucks after they saw no increase in television ratings.
  9. The three men of the same family were Howie Morenz, Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion, and Dan Geoffrion. All of them suited up for the Canadiens at one point in their careers.
  10. The score of the Canada-USSR game when the brawl erupted was 4-2 in favour of Canada.
Jim BC worked tirelessly at getting all the answers before 9pm CDT, so I think I'll dig through the prizes that I have, and see what I can get for him. Jim, please email me and I'll let you know what I have available.

I'm retiring for the evening, kids. Have a good night, and I'll be back all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed tomorrow after a long summer's nap.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

No comments: