Thursday 30 July 2009

Getting Ready For A New Season

As the pages on the calendar turn to August in a couple of days, the dog days of summer will soon be upon us. Another summer for me spent on softball diamonds, another summer of me soaking up the sun, and another summer where hockey news is slow. However, like the leaves in the autumn air, things are changing here on HBIC. I'm updating, I'm re-arranging, I'm deleting, and I'm making things better for you, the readers, in your quest to get your hockey news. Is this the best site out there? No. I'd be a fool to claim that, especially with guys like Mirtle, Wyshynski, and Kukla doing phenomenal jobs bringing you the latest news. But there are things happening behind the scenes here at HBIC for another magical hockey season.

First, I've changed the layout on the right-hand side. The "Feed" options are now below the "Buttons To Click". I also moved the "Broken Link" notice down as well since I've received almost no emails regarding that.

You may notice a new button to click as well. The "Home" button has been added and programmed to allow you, the reader, to get back to the general site. Basically, if you click it, it will open a new window to the HBIC page so you can navigate the site while remaining on your entry page in case you want to use it for reference. I had a few readers ask me about adding it, and I finally got off my lazy butt to do that. Thanks for the suggestion, Connie and Mike. I really think this may help readers who want to read more than just one linked article.

Secondly, I removed blogs from the "Hockey Blogs" list that hadn't been updated more than once per month in the last two months. There are some still on the drop-down list that haven't been updated frequently, but that's because they have contacted me regarding this. If you'd like to see your blog added, please send me an email.

Moving on... you may see more of a dedication to minor-pro hockey on this blog in the near future. Without letting the cat out of the bag, my focus may change slightly. You'll still get lots of NHL chatter, but there will be an increased amount of AHL, ECHL, and other minor-pro league talk. There is a reason for this, and, when the time is appropriate, I'll tell you why. For now, just know that the wheels are in motion, and I'd prefer to keep the shroud of secrecy up until everything becomes official.

Huge disappointment out of the New York Islanders' camp yesterday - which is nothing new if you've been an Islanders fan for the last 15 years. But yesterday, Chris Botta, who writes the amazingly-intelligent and always-honest NYI Point Blank, was cut loose by the Islanders. I've left Chris a comment on his post letting him know he'll be welcomed here as a guest blogger if he likes, but I'm almost certain he needs a paying job to support his family. Head over to his site and say a few kind words. The man was, and still is, an inspiration to me, and everything I want to be as a blogger.

Chris, if you happen to read this, chin up, man. You're a great writer, and the Islanders may have lost their best marketing mind with this move.

I hope to have another book review up within the next week. Look for that shortly. This one should be a good one.

That's all for tonight, kids. If there's anything else you want to see added to this blog, please let me know. I'm open to suggestions, and I'll consider anything you'd like to see added.

Until next time, keep your sticks on the ice!

1 comment:

Jim BC said...

Hi Teebz - Jim BC here from Uniwatchblog - finally checking out your blog and with your updates to the site, probably a good time to do so. Even though we are in the middle of the dog days of summer, I've picked up the hockey bug again as my summer hockey group had our first game last night. Took a puck off the face but still, nice to get back on the ice (holy crap it was hot in the rink last night!).